Here is a list of Best Free Punnett Square Calculator For Windows. Solving a monohybrid cross problem by Punnett Square method is very simple, but what about the dihybrid and trihybrid crosses? Using these calculators, you can easily solve simple to complicated Punnett Square problems. These freeware are also beneficial for students as they can practice genetics cross between different parents’ genotypes and find their genotypic and phenotypic ratio.
You just have to enter the genotypes of both parents and rest calculations are done by these software.
One of these calculators also carries out sex-linked cross on the Punnett Square. Besides this, it lets you perform virtual genetics experiments on Fruit Fly, Pea Plant, Yeast, and Cow.
My Favorite Punnett Square Calculator for Windows:
As my favorite Punnett Square calculator, I will go with Bifido Punnett Square Calculator. In this calculator, you will get a lot of features. It performs five types of calculations including genotypic and phenotypic ratios. Moreover, you can save the experiment in TXT format.
You may also like some best free Balancing Chemical Equations Calculator, Molecular Mass Calculator, and Molecular Modeling Software for Windows.
Bifido Punnett Square Calculator
Bifido Punnett Square Calculator, as the title suggests, is a featured Punnett Square calculator for Windows. It lets you perform calculations on different types of genetic crosses, like monohybrid cross, dihybrid cross, trihybrid cross, etc. Simply enter the parents’ genotypes in the required fields and click on Calculate button.
Types of Genetic Calculations it offers:
- Gametes of Genotype: This type of calculation lets you know the probability of all possible combinations of gametes (in percentage) and their ratio to both parents’ genotype separately. Such a type of calculation is helpful in large crosses like dihybrid and trihybrid crosses because, in such types of crosses, we first need to determine all the possible combinations of gametes. Let’s take an example of a heterozygous parent pea plant with genotype RrYy. In this genotype, there are two genes; one for shape (R = Round and r = Wrinkled) and other for color (Y = Yellow and y = Green). With this calculation, we can easily find out all the possible combinations of gametes for dihybrid cross, which are RY, Ry, rY, and ry. Each one of these gametes has equal probability i.e. 25%. Select Gametes for Genotype 1 to calculate the gametes combinations of parent 1 and Gametes of Genotype 2 for parent 2.
- Genotypes: This calculation determines the genotypic ratio and probability (in percentage) of the progeny.
- Phenotypes: This calculation is helpful in determining the phenotypic ratio and probability (in percentage) of the progeny.
- Traits Phenotypes: This calculation lets you solve the genetic problems with allelic (incomplete dominance and codominance) and nonallelic (epistasis) interactions. Traits phenotypes can be calculated in the Traits tab.
In the Find tab, you can find out the frequency (%) and the ratio of the selected combination of progeny from the result. For example, if I want to find out the frequency and ratio of wrinkled yellow pea plant with genotype rrYy, I can easily find out its frequency and ratio in the Find tab by selecting the combinations rr and Yy instead of searching it in the list of result. In this way, I can save my time.
Crossing Over Map Calculator, Fruit Fly Sex Calculator, and Recombination Progeny Calculator are the calculators available in this software other than the Punnett Square Calculator.
You can save the result in TXT format. Home Page Download Page
Punnett Square is another free Punnett Square calculator for Windows. It is a very simple application which is intended to do calculations on all monohybrid, dihybrid, and trihybrid crosses. I have even performed quadhybrid cross calculation in this software.
How to do a Punnett Square?
You just have to enter the genotypes of both the parents in the required boxes. No matter whether the genotypes are homozygous or heterozygous, it generates the phenotypic ratio of the offsprings on the basis of the entered data.
See the above screenshot which shows a cross between two heterozygous pea plants with round yellow seeds and genotype RrYy. The progeny of this cross has the phenotypic ratio 9:3:3:1, which is displayed on the interface.
Merits of Punnett Square:
- It is a lightweight portable Punnett Square calculator.
- Designed to calculate any type of hybrid cross including monohybrid cross, dihybrid cross, trihybrid cross, quadhybrid cross, etc.
- Displays the phenotypic ratio of progeny.
Demerits of Punnett Square:
- It does not display the genotypic ratio of progeny.
NOTE: You have to install JAVA to run this application. Home Page Download Page
Star Genetics is yet another free Punnett Square Calculator for Windows. It is actually a Genetics Cross Simulator which allows you to perform virtual genetics experiments on Fruit Fly, Pea Plant, Yeast, and Cow.
You can also use it as a Punnett Square Calculator and carry out monohybrid, dihybrid, and sex-linked crosses. In this calculator, you cannot enter your own data (parents’ genotypes) to solve a Punnett Square as it has its own predefined genotypes, which you have to use in your calculation. For example, if I want to perform a dihybrid cross between a pea plant with genotypes RrYy and another pea plant with genotypes rrYy, I have to select AaBb from Parental Genotype 1 window and aaBb from Parental Genotype 2 window. After that, it automatically shows the dihybrid Punnett Square table and the genotypic ratio.
In the genetic cross experiment, you can add more than one matings and it displays the resulted progeny on the screen. Moreover, it also displays the phenotype description. For example, in the cross of pea plants, the phenotype description includes flower color, flower pod position, pea color, pea shape, pod shape, and pod height.
You can save the experiment in its own supported format or export the project as excel workbook, but the export feature did not work while testing.
Advantages of this free Punnett Square Calculator:
- It is also a portable Punnett Square calculator which you can run without installing.
- It lets you perform virtual genetics experiments.
- It comes with Sex-Linked Punnett Square calculator.
Demerits of Star Genetics:
Home Page Download Page
- It does not show phenotypic ratio of the progeny.
- You cannot enter your own data for Punnett Square calculation.